What is so called ‘Classic’ Hi-Fi and does any deserve the title?

So, we are now in an age where many Hi-Fi components are described as 'Classic' items. What is this term supposed to mean? I don't really like it as it often seems to be applied to second (or third) rate stuff thats just basically old and knackered. I think I can grasp it in relation to some more worthy examples of older equipment that have undoubtedly earned respect.

Personally I'd cite Lowther amplifiers, but not their speakers as I can't live with them, just about any compression driver tweeter (pepperpot) Tannoy speaker, the original Sugden A21 amp, Leak and Quad valve amplifiers, Quad ESLs, Garrard 401/301, SME arms (even modern ones), Rogers BBC Monitors (even sweeter than Spendors), Some Radford gear, many earlier Luxman and Harman Kardon items, in fact quite a bit of American stuff and probably much more from around the world. Should we have a serious checklist and maybe exclude the real tat? Any views? Geoff.

Click HERE to see ALL the opinions

Also .....

Please click HERE for the UK's most comprehensive directory of vintage record and hi-fi stores

Please click HERE to view our growing Record Collector archive

Also .....

Please click HERE to access the entire VINTAGE archive

Also .....

Please click HERE to access the entire Point Of View archive